It’s no secret that hormones play a significant role in regulating various processes in the body. Metabolism, emotions, and all of organ systems are directly impacted by hormonal changes throughout our lives. “The change” (dare I say it...menopause) is more than just hot flashes and mood swings. It can also significantly change the overall health and appearance of our hair and skin. Whether natural, chemical, or surgical, menopause (yes - the big “M”) can lead to hair loss, sensitive skin, and scalp irritations. The significant decrease in estrogen and progesterone affects the growth cycle of hair follicles, skin elasticity, and moisture levels. An increase in hormones like androgens stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce excess oil, leading to clogged pores and the development of acne or dandruff.
MANAGE YOUR MENOPAUSAL HAIR: A healthy diet and scalp massages are holistic approaches to hormonal hair and scalp changes. Only a doctor can prescribe hormone replacement therapy and medication to treat and prevent hair loss.
- Peculiar Roots Rose Water & Hibiscus Color-Treated Shampoo and Conditioner rid the scalp of build-up and dirt without stripping the moisture from the hair.
- Encourage hair growth, restore moisture and improve elasticity with Curly Chic Rice Water Remedy Revitalizing Shampoo. Pair with the Rice Water Remedy Revitalizing Rinse to promote cell regeneration and improve the overall condition of your hair.
- For oily skin, try H-I-M-istry Naturals Blackberry & Salicylic Cleanser with the Buttah. by Dorian Renaud Oil-free Gel Cream Moisturizer.
- If you have dry or sensitive skin, pair the Buttah. By Dorian Renaud Gentle Cleanser with the Buttah. Vitamin C Serum for perfectly balanced and hydrated skin.
- Fragrance free cleansers and moisturizers like Organic Bath Co. Naked Organic Body Wash and Naked Skin Cream are best for all skin types, especially sensitive skin.
- Avoid the ash by using the Organic Bath Co. Body Discovery Set. It contains four unique body butters to nourish and protect dry skin. (Choose the scent that works for your mood!)
- Use Black Girl Sunscreen Make It Glow SPF 30 to moisturize and protect all skin tones from harmful UVA/UVB rays.